Friday, December 13, 2013

Mini Quilt Challenge

I am so excited to share this post with you all! I know just about everyone in this community has heard of the wonderful site Sew Mama Sew, and if you haven't you really need to go check it out! It's full of amazing tutorials, helpful hints, and great project ideas! Well, every month they have a "call for contributors" and I read the email, and just had to try my luck!
I received this gorgeous box of Aurifil thread and was challenged to make a mini quilt using at least 3 to 4 of the threads!
Look at all those GORGEOUS colors! I took my color inspiration from them, of course.
I have had the Greek Cross on my brain for a while now and decided it was finally time to make it! Camille Roskelley is the designer of these threads, and if you follow her blog or her IG you know she has been taking her patterns and downsizing them to make mini quilts. I think they are just adorable! Sooo, that's what I did to the Greek Cross block, I "Camille Roskelleyed" it and made it super tiny and adorable!!!!
Each block finishes at 3"! The mini quilt finishes around 9.5" x 12.5"! I LOVE the way it turned out!
Here is a pic of the threads I chose for the quilting. This was a HUGE challenge for me though. I've quilted TONS of things but I ALWAYS use white or gray thread. So, having threads that would stand out scared me a bit! I'm really happy with the end results though!

Here is a close up of the threads I used for the quilting. I did all my piecing and the binding with 2021 (the white). The ones I used for quilting are: 2830 (the aqua looking one), 2620 (the gray), 2105 (the light yellow), 1231 (the green), 2783 (the navy), and 2214 (the orange).
I chose to do a tiny cross hatch quilting. My lines are ROUGHLY 1/4" apart. I love the way it looks!
I am still in shock that I was chosen to be part of this amazingly talented group of "challengers"! You should really go visit them and see what they made too!
Jennifer Waaraniemi of lea & lars
Amy Gunson of Badskirt
Vanessa Lynch of Punkin Patterns
Kristin Schwarze of And Chips
Geta Gramma of Geta's Quilting Studio
Lindsey Rhodes of LRStitched
Penny Layman of Sew Take A Hike

They came up with some FABULOUS minis!!! And if you come back here tomorrow I will have a quick little tutorial of how I made my blocks!

I want to say a HUGE THANK YOU to the ladies at Sew Mama Sew and the wonderful people at Aurifil for letting me be part of this fun challenge!!!

I'll be linking this finish up with Amanda Jean of Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish it Friday!!

~Hope y'all are having a GREAT day!!!~

6 comments:

Fran said...

Your mini quilt is fantastic! I love the Greek Cross block generally but your quilting & the colours you used make it SO much more - love it! well done.

Tanyia said...

this is gorgeous and I think the colors of the threads add so much to it, which I normally would never have had the courage to do!

MissEnota aka Kristin S. said...

I can't get over how tiny this is. Incredibly cute and nice work!

Newbie Jen said...

Wonderful mini, and I love the way the thread choices for the quilting makes it look like plaid almost.

Southern Gal said...

Great job! The colors make it look like a totally different quilt from the unquilted version. Love it.

Judy1522 said...

Great job with the mini quilt I love the crosses and striped binding. Congratulations on being chosen to participate.